GoErie.com: Communities 

GoErie.com: Communities 

 

.

 

Albion

Amity

Cambridge Springs

Concord

Conneaut

Corry

Cranesville

Edinboro

Elgin

Elk Creek

Erie

Fairview

Franklin

Girard Borough

Girard Township

Greene

Greenfield

Harborcreek

Lake City

Lawrence Park

LeBoeuf

McKean Borough

McKean Township

Meadville

Millcreek

Mill Village

North East Borough

North East Township

Platea

Ripley, NY

Saegertown

Springfield

Summit

Titusville

Union City

Union Township

Venango

Washington

Waterford Borough

Waterford Township

Wattsburg

Wayne

Wesleyville

Edinboro
Government  |  Local Offices  |  History  |  Events  |  Community  |  Visiting  |  Weather
PA Legislative Directory

Welcome to Edinboro, where the springs are sweet and green, the summers are long and lush, the falls ring of harvest time and football, and the winters are white and crispy cold with snow.  Everything is here!  The university provides educational, cultural and sporting events, and the townspeople provide a small-town atmosphere with big-town services.  The icing on this "cake" is Edinboro Lake, which provides endless recreational activities year-round.  Come to Edinboro and find what you've been looking for!

 

Government

General Data

Year Organized

1840

1990 Census

7,736

Assessed Evaluation 100%

11,485,184

Taxes

Township Millage (OPT)

23

School Millage

121

Borough per Capita

$0.00

School per Capita

$0.00

Real Estate Transfer (%)

0.5%

Earned Income Tax (%)

1%

Codes & Ordinances

Planning & Zoning

Yes

Subdivision Regulation

Yes

Trailer/Mobile Home

Yes

Sewer

Yes

Garbage & Refuse

Yes

Gun Control

Yes

Green River, etc.

Yes

Parks

Yes

Nuisance

Yes

Boards & Commissions

Planning & Zoning

Yes

Sewer Authority

Yes

Water Authority

Yes

Building Committee

Yes

Parks & Recreation

Yes

Board of Appeals

Yes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back To Top

 

 

Local Offices

Edinboro Borough

124 Meadville Street

Edinboro, PA 16412-2502

Ph: (814) 734-1812
Fax: (814) 734-4492
Email:
edinboro@moose.erie.net

Monday Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Mayor

Caroline Rhodes

Council

Paul Snyder, Deputy Mayor
Jean A. Davis
H. Robert Cannell
Christopher Gillette
Robert Gray
Mary Ann Horne

Meeting Date: Second and fourth Monday, 7 p.m.

Manager

E. R. Buck McFadden

Secretary/Treasurer

E. R. Buck McFadden

Zoning Administrator

David Zamierowski

Engineer

Lake Engineering

Solicitor

Ritchie T. Marsh, Esq.

Auditors

Gorzynski, Felix & Gloekler

Tax Collector

Mark Hutchinson

School District

General McLane School District

Fire Department

Edinboro Volunteer Fire Department

Police

Edinboro Police Department

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to Top

 

 

History

A traveling man once called Edinboro the "prettiest little inland town I have found in all my travels," quoted John L. Marsh and Karl E. Nordberg in their second book about Edinboro.  The town abounds with history, beginning from the time the township was first settled and a mill was established at the south end of the lake in what is now the borough limits.  Other mills were soon built and a small village grew up around them, with storekeepers, artisans and craftsmen bringing their special talents to the community. 

The villagers were quite self sufficient, for neither a canal line nor a railroad traversed the township, although a stagecoach line was in operation on the Plank Road to and from Erie in the mid 1800s.  A faster, more comfortable service was in operation by the Erie Traction Company between Erie and Cambridge Springs from 1900 to 1928.   A bus line began service in 1926 and continued after the trolley ceased operation.  In 1929 a trolley car was brought back to Edinboro and placed permanently on the southwest corner of Erie and Plum Streets (Route 6N and 19) to operate as a diner.  Named the "Crossroads Dinor" by a young Edinboro resident, it remains in business today.

The college has been the primary focus of the community, almost from the beginning.  Early residents were wise in their understanding of the value of education.  With two small schools within the borough limits offering only the lower grades, residents formed an organization in 1856 to build an academy.  It was so successful that three more buildings were erected by 1860.   The Pennsylvania Normal School Act was passed in 1857 and Edinboro was a candidate as a location, if it also could offer a Model School with a guaranteed enrollment of 100 students for children in those lower grades.  By extending the school district's limits into the township, closing the public schools, and appropriating the school taxes to support it, the Model School enabled a teaching college to be established in Edinboro in 1861. 

The history of the Edinboro State Normal School - today known as Edinboro University - is one long success story, with the exception of an unfortunate incident in 1892 when the popular Normal School's longtime manager, Prof. Joseph A.  Cooper, was fired by the Board of Trustees. Cooper had many loyal supporters and for a time it appeared he might be reinstated, but this did not occur.

Being a "college town" in the 1800s meant that the males and females were boarded in separate buildings.  Most were housed in rooms in private homes in the borough with the women on Meadville Street south of West Normal Street and the men housed on the north side.   By local custom the areas were named "Girl Town" and "Boy Town."

Rivaling the college for the townspeople's attention was the lake, just at the north end of the borough.  Every kind of water sport was enjoyed there, including camps for boys and girls.  In the early decades of the 20th Century Conneaut Lake was publicly promoted as offering an inexpensive vacation, with easy access by trolley.   Today cottages, campsites and year-round homes circle the lake, and it remains the center of much activity within the community.

A name long synonymous with Edinboro is Goodell.  The patriarch of the family, Layton B., came to the area in 1832 and began a blacksmith business.  Two of his descendants, Todd and Ned, remained in the area and Todd's two daughters, Carrie and Margaret, carried on the family farm at the edge of the borough for many decades until the late 20th Century, long after their father had passed away. 

Three devastating fires occurred during the first decade of the 20th Century that might have been a death knell for other communities, but the citizens of Edinboro rebuilt, better than before each time.  Today many fine homes still line the sidewalked streets of the borough.  Middle and high school level students now attend the General McLane School District, having merged with the township children and those of McKean Borough and Franklin and McKean Townships. 

In the center of the borough at the corner of Erie and Waterford Streets, a triangular area called "The Diamond" still announces that it is Edinboro a visitor has entered.  And, a fine fountain still operates, as it has since it was dedicated in 1913. 

Back To Top

 

 

EVENTS

All Year

  • Dates TBA.  Edinboro University sponsors a variety of public events all through the year. Call (814) 732-2000, or (814) 732-2518 for a current schedule.

April

  • 3rd Sunday, Trap League Shoot, location to be announced.  Sponsored by Lake Edinboro Sportsmen's'  League.

May

  • 4th Saturday, Garage Sale, Edinboro Mall.  Sponsored by Kiwanis Club.

June

  • Every Saturday, Flea Market, Edinboro Mall.  Sponsored by Edinboro Chamber of Commerce.
  • 2nd Saturday, Health & Safety Fair, location to be announced.  Sponsored by Kiwanis Club.

July

  • 4th of July Gigantic Festival, Lakefront Park.
  • 4th Sunday, John Gillette Memorial Golf Scramble, Culbertson Hills Golf Course.

November

  • Election Day, Kiwanis Pancake Day, Borough Building.  Sponsored by Kiwanis Club.
  • 2nd Sunday, Ham & Turkey Shoot, Edinboro/McKean VFW Memorial Post #740.

December

  • 1st  week, day to be announced, Festival of Lights & Arrival of Santa Claus, Borough Building.
  • New Year's Eve Party, Mountain View Ski Area.  Sponsored by Chamber of Commerce.

Back to Top

 

 

COMMUNITY

  • American Association of University Women (AAUW), Edinboro Chapter
  • Boy Scouts
  • Eastern Star
  • Edinboro Area Historical Society
  • Edinboro Volunteer Fire Department
  • Edinboro Volunteer Fire Department Auxiliary
  • Edinboro Garden Club
  • Girl Scouts
  • Grange
  • Greater Edinboro Area Roundtable
  • Heather Club, Garden Club
  • Kiwanis
  • Lake Edinboro Sportsmen's' League
  • Lions Club
  • Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.)
  • Rebekahs
  • Rotary
  • Senior Citizens
  • Town & Country Garden Club
  • VFW, Edinboro/McKean Memorial Post #740
  • VFW Auxiliary, Post #740
  • West County Shrine Club

Back To Top

 

 

VISITING

The Edinboro Independent began in business on February 1, 1880.  Today it is called the Independent-Enterprise, located at 109 Erie Street, and is part of the Brown Thompson Newspapers chain.

Isaac Taylor, a prominent leader in the community, built a fine home at 139 Meadville Street in 1878.  Today that home is the center for Marketing & Development for Edinboro University.   

At 105 Erie Street is a three-story high building once known as the Brick Drug Store.  It was built in 1885 for Dr. Sidney H. Hotchkiss.  Hotchkiss was an Edinboro Normal School graduate, earning further degrees from Allegheny College and Bellevue Hospital Medical College.  He returned and opened his Edinboro practice in 1871, later opening the drug store.  During that era, doctors often owned and operated their own drug stores.  In 1928 Frank "Happy" Jolley purchased the Brick Drug Store and operated it until 1963.  During the World War II era, it was a favorite hangout for the young folks still in town.  Pizza lovers stop in there today for John's Wildwood Pizzeria.

At the north end of Edinboro on the east side of Route 99 is Walker Brothers Chevrolet.  This family business was begun elsewhere in the borough in 1918. 

The home of Edinboro Normal School's longtime manager, Prof. J. A. Cooper, is across the street from the Edinboro campus, at 220 Meadville Street.  Also called the House of Seven Gables, it provides a good photo opportunity for housing of the late 19th Century.

Another "must see" is the fountain and Diamond in the center of Edinboro.  This was the crossroads of the community.  The fountain was set in place in 1913 to serve men, horses and dogs.

A special spot for lunch is the Crossroads Dinor on 6N at the corners of Erie and Plum Streets.  It was once a trolley car that was brought into Edinboro a year after the last trolley rolled through town.  Named by a young student in the school district, it continues today under the same name.

The Edinboro University campus provides a lovely setting for a stroll.  One of the oldest buildings, Normal Hall, still stands on East Normal Street.  The original building, Academy Hall, was gutted by fire in 1969.  Edinboro University offers 100 different degree programs and 4 minor programs.  The student population is about 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students. 

Just at the edge of Edinboro University campus, on Washington Street (U.S. Route 6N), is the Northwest Tri-County Intermediate Unit.  The fifth of 29 such units, this facility offers auxiliary staff and services to schools in three counties Erie, Crawford and Warren.  Stop in and ask questions.  The staff is very willing to chat with you.   

The Edinboro Area Historical Society organized in 1998 to preserve the history of the borough and township.  Currently it is headquartered in the municipal building with meetings every other month.  It is adding to its collection of artifacts and those include photos and oral histories from a very successful program called "World War II and Edinboro."  At this time the Society does not have regular open hours, but more will be heard from this organization in the future!

Back To Top

.

Back to TourErie.com

 

 

Albion   |  Amity   |  Cambridge Springs   |  Concord   |  Conneaut   |  Corry   |  Edinboro   |  Elgin   |  Elk Creek   |  Erie   |  Fairview     Franklin   |  Girard Borough   |  Girard Township   |  Greene   |  Greenfield   |  Harborcreek   |  Lake City   |  Lawrence Park   |  LeBoeuf     McKean Borough   |  McKean Township   |  Meadville   |  Millcreek   |  Mill Village   |  North East Borough   |  North East Township   |  Platea     Ripley, NY   |  Saegertown   |  Springfield   |  Summit   |  Titusville   |  Union City   |  Union Township   |  Venango   |  Washington   |  Waterford Borough   |  Waterford Township   |  Wattsburg   |  Wayne   |  Wesleyville